|For the Sauce Bolognese|
|1 tsp||Olive Oil|
|17.64 oz||Beef, ground or minced, 15% fat|
|⅔ cup 1 tsp||Onions, white or yellow, raw, chopped|
|1 tbsp||Parsley, dried|
|1 tbsp||Tomato paste, canned, no salt added|
|2 (ea. 0.11 oz)||Garlic, raw|
|2 cups 1 tbsp 1 tsp||Tomatoes, red, canned, in tomato juice, no salt added|
|1 tsp||Salt, Kosher salt, table salt|
|½ tsp||Pepper, black, ground|
|For the Bechamel Sauce|
|6⅜ tsp||Butter, unsalted|
|⅓ cup||Wheat flour, white, pastry flour|
|2⅛ cups||Milk, whole, 3.25% fat|
|¼ tsp||Nutmeg, ground|
|½ tsp||Salt, Kosher salt, table salt|
|¼ tsp||Pepper, black, ground|
|For layering the lasagna|
|8.82 oz||Pasta, dry, lasagna sheet|
|2 cups||Parmigiano Reggiano, Parmesan cheese, grated|
|77.07 oz||altogether (view nutrition facts)|
- Serving size:12.80 oz (calculated)Notes: 1 slice, about 11.5 cm (4 1/2 in) by 7.6 cm (3 in) by 3.75 cm (1 1/2 in)
- Temperature: 356 °F (preheated, circulating air)
- Heat the oil in a pot and brown the ground beef at a high temperature, about 5 minutes.
- Reduce the heat to medium and add the chopped onion and the parsley. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Push the meat to the sides to expose the bottom of the pot. Add the tomato paste and stir it throughout to cook it off, about 2 minutes.
- Add the finely chopped garlic and tomatoes and season with salt and pepper.
- Reduce the heat and simmer for half an hour. Do not put a lid on the pot.
- While the bolognese is cooking, make a Bechamel sauce. For this, melt the butter in a pot over medium heat.
- Once melted, stir vigorously while sifting in the flour.
- Add the milk bit by bit while stirring continuously. I recommend you warm the milk before, or use it at room temperature. This will help avoid lumps.
- If you do get lumps, press the sauce through a sieve.
- Season with nutmeg, salt and pepper.
- Now reduce the heat and let the sauce simmer until the meat sauce is done, about 25 minutes. Stir occasionally, as the milk will form a skin. This thickens it to a consistency similar to mayonnaise and ensures it loses the taste of flour.
- For 6 servings, we used a 23 cm by 23 (9 in by 9 in) casserole.
- Put about 1/4 of the Sauce Bolognese on the bottom. For us, this works out to be about 220 g of sauce (1 cup, 1/2 lb).
- Add a layer of lasagne sheets. We can cover our dish with 3 sheets per layer, breaking some on the edge of our counter top for thinner strips.
- Top it with 1/4 of the Bechamel sauce. We use about 125 g of sauce (1/2 cup, 1/4 lb).
- Optionally sprinkle the Bechamel layer with a bit of cheese, about 2 1/2 tablespoons per layer.
- Now repeat the process until you have completed four layers of Sauce Bolognese, lasagne sheets and Bechamel sauce with cheese. Change the direction of the lasagne sheets on each layer, so that the lasagna holds together better.
- You should finish with a layer of Bechamel sauce. Top it with the remaining cheese.
- Cook until the pasta is soft and the cheese is golden-brown, about 40 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and let the lasagna cool down for 5 to 10 minutes. This helps it keep its shape and it will be at a better eating temperature.
- Now slice, serve and enjoy!
- The lasagna is even tastier when reheating. So if you're having guests, make the lasagna the day before and put it in the fridge. You'll have less hassle on the day and an even tastier meal.
- You can store the dish in an airtight container for 5 days in the fridge or up to 6 months in the freezer. For best results, thaw overnight. Reheat in the oven for best results or in the microwave.
Making a simple Sauce Bolognese (meat sauce)
Making the Bechamel sauce (white sauce)
Layering the lasagna
Meal Prep Tip
- Calorie count623 kcal
- % of calories by macros
Fat 47.4 % 295 kcal 32.5 g Net Carbs 28.1 % 175 kcal 43 g Dietary Fiber 1.3 % 8 kcal 3.8 g Protein 23.3 % 145 kcal 36 g
- Approx. WW SmartPoints™19.8
- Cholesterol 102.8 mg
- Sodium 1092 mg
- Fat 32.5 g
- Saturated Fat 16.1 g
- Trans Fat 0.7 g
- Carbohydrates 47.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.8 g
- Total Sugars 8.7 g
- Added Sugar 0 g
- Sugar alcohols 0 g
- Protein 36 g
- Calcium 555.2 mg
- Iron 3.3 mg
- Magnesium 75 mg
- Potassium 721.3 mg
- Zinc 6.1 mg
- Vitamin A (Retinol Equivalents) 234.5 mcg
- Vitamin B12 2.9 mcg
- Vitamin C 13.1 mg
- Folate 28 mcg
- Folic Acid 3 mcg