|567 g||Veal Leg, top round, separable lean only, raw|
|1 (ea. 38 g)||Egg, small|
|50 g||Pork Rinds, Scratchings, Greaves, Cracklings|
|½ tsp||Salt, table|
|¼ tsp||Pepper, black, ground|
|5.3 g||Arrowroot Flour|
|2 tsp||Lemon juice, fresh cold-pressed|
- Serving size: 1 breaded cutlet (4 oz or 113 g of raw meat)
- For true Viennese Schnitzel, use veal cutlets, each weighing about 5 oz or 140 g. Alternatively, use pork or even chicken / turkey escalopes.
- If you get thicker cuts, cover them and pound them to a thickness of about 1/4 inches or 6 mm.
- Blend the pork rinds in a food processor or crush them in a ziplock bag until you have small crumbs. Mix in the salt and pepper. Optionally add other spices or herbs.
- Whisk the eggs.
- Dust a cutlet with the arrowroot powder, using one hand pull it through the whisked eggs to coat it and lay it in the seasoned pork rinds.
- Using your other hand, cover the cutlet with pork rinds and set it on a plate. Alternatively, spoon on the breading. Do not press on the pork rinds, else the breading won't be light and fluffy.
- Continuing to use one hand for the eggs, the other fro the breading, coat all the cutlets.
- In a large pan over medium-high heat, melt the lard.
- Fry the cutlets until the breading turns golden brown, about 3 to 5 minutes. Flip and fry for another 3 to 5 minutes.
- Serve with a wedge of lemon to squeeze out on top of the schnitzel.
- Enjoy, for example with a side of vegetables or a salad.
- You can store the dish in an airtight container for 5 days in the fridge or up to 6 months in the freezer. For best results, thaw overnight. It's best to reheat the cutlets in the oven. Like this they have a crisper texture than if you microwave them. Alternatively, reheat them in a pan on the stovetop. Add the lemon only after reheating.
Meal Prep Tip
- Calorie count327 kcal
- % of calories by macros
Fat 48.9 % 160 kcal 17.3 g Net Carbs 1.8 % 6 kcal 1.4 g Protein 49.2 % 161 kcal 39 g
- Approx. WW SmartPoints™7.3
- Cholesterol 155 mg
- Sodium 398.5 mg
- Fat 17.3 g
- Saturated Fat 6.3 g
- Trans Fat 0 g
- Carbohydrates 1.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.1 g
- Total Sugars 0.1 g
- Added Sugar 0 g
- Sugar alcohols 0 g
- Protein 39.1 g
- Calcium 13.9 mg
- Iron 1.3 mg
- Magnesium 39.9 mg
- Potassium 545.1 mg
- Zinc 3.5 mg
- Vitamin A (Retinol Equivalents) 15.2 mcg
- Vitamin B12 1.6 mcg
- Vitamin C 1 mg
- Folate 24.9 mcg
- Folic Acid 0 mcg