|1 lb||Sausage, Italian pork, raw|
|5 oz||Pork Belly, Pancetta, raw|
|¼ cup||Onions, white or yellow, raw, chopped|
|5 (ea. 0.11 oz)||Garlic, raw|
|6 cups||Chicken broth, stock|
|3⅙ cups||Cauliflower, raw|
|16¼ cups||Kale, raw|
|¾ cup||Cream, fluid, light whipping, 30% fat|
|¼ tsp||Salt, Kosher salt, table salt|
|¼ tsp||Pepper, black, ground|
|2 tbsp||Parmigiano Reggiano, Parmesan cheese, grated|
|107.11 oz||altogether (view nutrition facts)|
- Serving size:9 oz (calculated)Notes: 1 cup of soup (about 1/2 lb or 226 g)
- Remove the sausage meat from its casing and chop it roughly. Spicy Italian Sausage goes really well with this dish, but if you don't like it spicy, you can use the mild variety, too.
- Dice the pancetta. Instead of pancetta, you can also use bacon.
- In a large pot over medium-high heat, brown the sausage meat and the pancetta, about 5 minutes. Ideally, the pot is large enough to hold the kale. It will reduce in volume considerably as it wilts, so if the pot is not quite big enough, don't worry. You can add the kale bit by bit.
- Optionally heat the chicken stock in a separate pot to cut down the cooking time later.
- Remove the browned meat from the pan and set it aside.
- Saute the chopped onion in the same pot, about 2 minutes.
- Add the minced garlic and saute until fragrant, about half a minute. Stir throughout to prevent the garlic from burning.
- Add the chicken stock and bring it to a boil.
- Chop the cauliflower stalks. For 6 servings, you'll need about two cauliflower stalks. You can also use the florets, if you're not making another dish with cauliflower.
- Once boiling add the cauliflower stalks to the stock.
- Reduce the heat to medium and simmer for about 20 minutes.
- Add the chopped kale and stir it in. Let simmer until the leaves wilt, about 3 minutes. Depending on the size of your pot, you may want to add the kale in batches. It will reduce in volume almost immediately, as you stir it in.
- Return the sausage meat and pancetta to the pot and stir in the cream.
- Simmer for another 5 minutes or until the kale is cooked to your liking.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Enjoy sprinkled with about 1/2 teaspoon of shredded or grated parmesan per serving.
- You can store the soup in an airtight container for 5 days in the fridge or up to 6 months in the freezer. For best results, thaw overnight. Reheat in the microwave or on the stovetop. Note that the cream and water will separate when cold. Simply stir everything together again after reheating.
Meal Prep Tip
- Calorie count277 kcal
- % of calories by macros
Fat 78.3 % 217 kcal 24 g Net Carbs 6.1 % 17 kcal 4.2 g Dietary Fiber 1.1 % 3 kcal 1.7 g Protein 14.4 % 40 kcal 9.9 g
- Approx. WW SmartPoints™9.8
- Cholesterol 59.1 mg
- Sodium 827.9 mg
- Fat 24.2 g
- Saturated Fat 10.1 g
- Trans Fat 0 g
- Carbohydrates 5.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.7 g
- Total Sugars 2.4 g
- Added Sugar 0 g
- Sugar alcohols 0 g
- Protein 9.9 g
- Calcium 88.4 mg
- Iron 1.2 mg
- Magnesium 26.9 mg
- Potassium 391.6 mg
- Zinc 1.2 mg
- Vitamin A (Retinol Equivalents) 192.9 mcg
- Vitamin B12 0.5 mcg
- Vitamin C 49.2 mg
- Folate 60.6 mcg
- Folic Acid 0.1 mcg