|For the meat sauce|
|2 tbsp||Olive Oil|
|¼ cup||Onions, white or yellow, raw, chopped|
|1 lb||Beef, ground or minced, 20% fat|
|1½ cups 1 tbsp 2 tsp||Tomato puree, canned, no salt added|
|1 tbsp||Oregano, dried|
|1 tsp||Salt, Kosher salt, table salt|
|1 pinch||Cayenne Pepper, ground|
|For the lasagna|
|2.90 (ea. 6.91 oz)||Zucchinis, Courgettes, Summer Squash, raw|
|1½ cups||Mozzarella, cheese, low moisture, whole milk, shredded|
|½ cup||Parmigiano Reggiano, Parmesan cheese, grated|
|60.47 oz||altogether (view nutrition facts)|
- Serving size:10 oz (calculated)Notes: 1 piece measuring about 8.5 cm by 8 cm 3.5 cm (3 3/8 in by 3 1/8 in by 1 3/8 in); sufficient as a main meal
- Temperature: 375 °F
- In a large pan, heat the oil over medium heat.
- Saute the onions for about 5 minutes.
- Add the ground beef and brown it, about 5 minutes.
- Add the spices and mix well.
- Stir in the tomatoes and let the sauce cook until it has reduced to a relatively dry sauce, about half an hour. This is important, as the zucchini will add moisture to the lasagna while baking and you do not want a soggy lasagna.
- If you need to save time, you can use tomato paste instead, about 1/2 of the amount of tomato puree.
- Season to taste.
- Slice the zucchini lengthwise into strips about 1/8 inch or 3 mm thick.
- In an oven-safe dish, use about a third of the zucchinis to form the first layer. The slices should overlap slightly. For 6 servings, you can use an 8 in by 8 in or a 26 cm by 16 cm baking dish. For 12 servings a 13 in by 9 in casserole works well.
- Add about half the meat sauce over the zucchini.
- Sprinkle on about a third of the mozzarella.
- Add another zucchini layer, then a meat layer and a mozzarella layer. We like to change the direction of the zucchini planks from one layer to another.
- Sprinkle on the remaining mozzarella and then add the parmesan.
- Bake until the lasagna is bubbling and the cheese has the desired color. We like the cheese to be brown and crisp, so we bake it for about 45 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and let sit 10 minutes before slicing and serving.
The meat sauce
- Calorie count403 kcal
- % of calories by macros
Fat 66.5 % 268 kcal 30 g Net Carbs 8.4 % 34 kcal 8.6 g Dietary Fiber 1.2 % 5 kcal 2.5 g Protein 23.8 % 96 kcal 24 g
- Approx. WW SmartPoints™12.2
- Cholesterol 85.4 mg
- Sodium 768.1 mg
- Fat 29.9 g
- Saturated Fat 12.6 g
- Trans Fat 0.9 g
- Carbohydrates 11.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.5 g
- Total Sugars 6.2 g
- Added Sugar 0 g
- Sugar alcohols 0 g
- Protein 24.1 g
- Calcium 311.1 mg
- Iron 3.3 mg
- Magnesium 56.8 mg
- Potassium 790.6 mg
- Zinc 4.7 mg
- Vitamin A (Retinol Equivalents) 120.3 mcg
- Vitamin B12 2 mcg
- Vitamin C 24.5 mg
- Folate 40 mcg
- Folic Acid 0.6 mcg