|3 lb||Beef Tongue, raw|
|12 cups||Tap Water|
|2 tsp||Salt, Kosher salt, table salt|
|148.57 oz||altogether (view nutrition facts)|
- Serving size:4.30 oz (by recipe creator)18.60 oz (calculated)Notes: 4 oz (113 g) of meat, 1/3 oz (10 g) of skin
- In a pot large enough to hold the beef tongue, bring some salted water to a boil.
- Add the beef tongue and bring to a simmer. Ensure the whole tongue is covered.
- Reduce the heat to keep the water just below boiling or a gentle simmer.
- Cook with the lid on until the beef tongue slides off when picked up with a meat fork, about 2 hours.
- Remove from the broth and let cool until you can handle it, about 10 to 15 minutes.
- Cut along the center of the front of the tongue deep enough to cut through the tongue's skin.
- Peel the skin. If you like, you can slice it up and eat it, too.
- Slice the peeled, cooked tongue meat and enjoy it as is, as a cold cut (lunch meat), or briefly sear it in a hot pan.
- You can also reduce the broth and use it instead of bone broth.
- 3 lbs of raw beef tongue yields about 2 lbs of peeled, cooked beef tongue and about 2 3/4 to 3 oz of skin.
- Calorie count381 kcal
- % of calories by macros
Fat 66.1 % 252 kcal 27.4 g Net Carbs 6.8 % 26 kcal 6.3 g Protein 27.0 % 103 kcal 25.3 g
- Approx. WW SmartPoints™0.0
- Cholesterol 148 mg
- Sodium 720 mg
- Fat 27.4 g
- Saturated Fat 11.9 g
- Trans Fat 0 g
- Carbohydrates 6.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 0 g
- Total Sugars 0 g
- Added Sugar 0 g
- Sugar alcohols 0 g
- Protein 25.3 g
- Calcium 21.2 mg
- Iron 5 mg
- Magnesium 30.8 mg
- Potassium 535.9 mg
- Zinc 4.9 mg
- Vitamin A (Retinol Equivalents) 0 mcg
- Vitamin B12 6.4 mcg
- Vitamin C 5.3 mg
- Folate 11.9 mcg
- Folic Acid 0 mcg